Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mmmm Chocolate!

Chocolate is the only aromatherapy I need. ~Jasmine Heiler


I recently discovered a new plant for my garden, 'Berlandiera lyrata' (Chocolate Flower). I was intrigued by the claim that it smelled like chocolate, and because I love chocolate (who doesn't) I had to purchase this flower for my garden!



Mounded coarse gray-green foilage, the numerous, daisy-like blossoms are 2 in. across with yellow rays and a maroon center. A night bloomer, the flowers offer up their cocoa scent in the morning and drop their colorful petals each day as the temperature rises. Left behind is a set of green calyxes cupped around the center of the flower.

This plant is attractive to bees, butterflies and/or birds, self-sows freely, and drought tolerant. This wildflower has been a great addition to my garden and my daughter loves to stick her nose in the blooms, she has been absolutely fascinated with this plant, and so have I.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely flower! Great title, you got my attention! lol Chocolate Cosmos is another lovely sweet smell too.

Karen said...

Perennial gardener-

ooooo I hadn't heard of chocolate cosmos, another I'll have to add to the garden :)

Roses and Lilacs said...

Ah, chocolate, I can't resist it either. A very unique plant, interesting even after the petals fall.
Marnie

beckie said...

Actually Karen, the flower without the yellow petals is just as pretty if not prettier. And smells of chocolate! A must have for all of us chocolate lovers.

Anonymous said...

i didnt know there was such a thing...

arlene,
East Bremerton florist

Niels Plougmann said...

Thank you for bringing this flower to my attention. I think someone I know will be very happy to get it! It looks beautiful in all stages!