Sunday, March 1, 2009

Easy House Plants


False Shamrock 'Atropurpurea' (Oxalis triangularis subsp. papilionaceae)

This plant is an annual that I have had since 2007. I admit I am sometimes lazy so I had left it in a pot in my garage in the fall of that year . I brought it indoors in the spring of 2008 to clean the pot when I noticed a sprout, surprise! I left it alone to see what it was, I had forgotten what had been planted in it. I put it in a window all winter and the leaves grew more each day, it wasn't very robust so I didn't think it would survive , after all it had been in that window for a year. I was wrong, today it bloomed.


Above is a plant I have had for 10 years I have taken several cuttings from it over the years and given them to friends or have them in my office. The plant started as a cutting from a plant in an office I used to work for so I'm not sure what it is. I cut it back every fall and in the summer I hang it outside, last year it grew 3 feet. It thrives easily even when you neglect it. Which I admit I do, you can see in the picture I need to trim it up.


Pictured above is a new cutting I started from the original hanging one. Below is the plant 5 months later.


2 comments:

Sue said...

Isn't your hanging plant some sort of Philodendron?

As a fellow Hoosier, I enjoy your blog very much! Have a blessed Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen. It's a Pothos. Years ago I was the same way, taking cuttings, starting new plants and giving them away. What I like most about the pothos besides the gorgeous leaves is the fact that it can tolerate low light conditions--not true for most houseplants. Yours look very healthy. Nice oxalis too. The other day I was with a friend at a nursery and they had a dark purple leaved oxalis with dark pink flowers. Ooh, la la. It was in a mixed container for about $30.00--out of my price range. But I know which local nursery is growing it so I hope to get my greedy claws on one later. :)