Monday, May 18, 2009

May Days

"The country ever has a lagging Spring,
Waiting for May to call its violets forth,
And June its roses--showers and sunshine bring,
Slowly, the deepening verdure o'er the earth;
To put their foliage out, the woods are slack,
And one by one the singing-birds come back.

Within the city's bounds the time of flowers
Comes earlier. Let a mild and sunny day,
Such as full often, for a few bright hours,
Breathes through the sky of March the airs of May,
Shine on our roofs and chase the wintry gloom--
And lo! our borders glow with sudden bloom."
- William Cullen Bryant, Spring in Town, 1850
















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen~~ Nice photos. I'm thinking your closeup clematis is 'Nelly Mosier.' Am I correct? May is a truly gorgeous month in the garden.

Karen said...

Grace -

I'm not sure if the clematis is 'Nelly Mosier',I planted it 4 years ago and didn't take note and my memory is going down hill, lol. It sure looks like Nelly and she can take more shade than other types of clematis and this one does real nicely with only morning sun, I'd say it probably is.