Monday, May 11, 2009

Stubborn Planting Bed or Is It?

When one of my plants dies, I die a little inside, too. ~Linda Solegato



First bud this year on David Austins Abraham Derby



Only the second year of David Austins Crocus Rose

The above two roses have been successful in my garden, both planted last year and thriving better than I had ever imagined. However, I have a problem in another area.......... or do I?

It seems everything I plant in a small strip of shade against the north side of my house dies. My azalea died after surviving two years. Last year my hosta didn't come up, but this year it is, though it's tiny and only just now peeping out of the ground. The ghost fern thrives here, a few geraniums and the climbing hydrangea planted last year are growing well, so that's a plus. So I decided to fill in the gaps with Ferns.
The above picture is one of three that I planted, Osmunda 'Purpurascens', Purple Royal Fern is similar to Royal Fern, but emerging fronds and stems are reddish purple. Fronds gradually mature to bright green by summer, while stems remain purple. It tolerates more sun than most ferns. Athyruim niponicum 'Pictum' - Japanese Painted Fern and Matteuccia struthiopteris - Ostrich Fern are the other two additions. So I will keep an eye on these three and post some pictures when they burst in growth, as I know they will.......going to stay positive.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I hear ya, Karen. We must stay positive. :) It's all a learning process. I lost a few plants this past winter and wouldn't you know it, the joy of designing and implementing a replacement scheme is a lot of fun. I love all your fern choices, especially the Ostrich fern.