Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Signs of Spring - Finally!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown

It has been a rainy start for March. No complaints though, it's better than snow. It's just been difficult to get outside and get to work on some things.

One area of my yard is so wet that when I walked through my feet started to sink, and mind you, there wasn't any water standing, so it took me by surprise. I did manage to get some quick pictures (in between rain) of some plants sprouting in my garden.


Here is a tulip peeking through along the pathway to my front door. Believe it or not I'm not a big tulip fan as far as growing them. But they are beautiful in bloom. The tulips along this pathway are reds and pinks. Very pretty last year.








Another tulip sprout through the snow on the north side of my
home. The only place the snow hadn't melted a couple of days ago, but the snow is gone now. This tulip is under my tulip tree. It's a small or dwarf type tulip, I don't know what type it is, it came with the house. The colors are magenta looking and yellow. Unique and different than the tulips I am used to.




And here is a daylily I inherited as well. I believe
it is a Tiger Lily. These are on the south side of my house.
I think by the end of this week I'll see some more progress and hopefully a bloom or two. I bet the daffodils are (which I neglected to take a picture of) are really growing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the quote! Today is rainy and I promised I would try to get the laundry done and the bathroom cleaned after spending all day yesterday in the garden and neglecting the indoor chores.

Curmudgeon said...

Hmmm, I think God made rainy days so that Seattle gardeners could get even MORE muddy and wet while they try to plant their seeds! Hi Karen! Thanks for stopping by our blog and leaving a comment. Is that snow still refusing to melt in one of your pics? We wenches spent ten plus years living in the midwest--WI & MN--so we know all about long, cold, snowy winters--and we're very happy to be playing in the mud now!

Carol Soules said...

Welcome to blotanical. Looks like your garden is in a similar place as my Massachusetts one. I raked off dead leaves and such today and found sprouts of this and that. Yes! Spring is in the air!
Stop by for a visit!
Carol
terranovadesign.com

Anonymous said...

I so agree with the quote, I am on a break from cleaning my kitchen right now!

Carol Soules said...

Thx for visiting me at Terra Nova Design! I hope the rains have let up!

Carol Michel said...

We sure did have a rainy start to last week. It's nice to find another Indiana gardener blogging about gardening! Thanks for marking me as one of your favorites on blotanical!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens